Eco Design of packaging:
· aims at minimizing environmental impacts due to packaging and packaged goods throughout their whole life cycle;
· is part of the decision-making process during development and marketing of a packaged product;
· includes a holistic view of the entire packaging system (primary-, secondary- and tertiary packaging);
· includes incremental product improvement (e.g. material saving) as well as system innovation (e.g. optimized logistics and waste collection) and
· approaches conflicting goals on various levels;
between various environmental aspects (e.g. material saving versus recycling) as well as between environmental and different aspects (e.g. functionality, consumer protection or costs).