ROUND TABLE EXPERTS’ INITIATIVE
The “Eco Design of Plastics Packaging” Round Table is an initiative of experts from businesses operating along the entire plastics packaging supply chain (packaging manufacturers, food and consumer goods sector, retailing) as well as scientific and consumer protection organisations.
- IK Industrievereinigung Kunststoffverpackungen e.V. (German Association for Plastics Packaging and Films) founded the Round Table in 2014.
- Cooperation follows defined rules based on the principles of consensus and confidentiality.
- Facilitation was carried out by team ewen.
- The aim is to achieve Eco Design of plastic packaging, primarily by developing guidelines and recommendations for players in the value chain.
ECO DESIGN OF PLASTIC PACKAGING
Round Table definition of Eco Design
Eco Design of packaging…
- Aims to minimise the environmental impacts of packaging and packed goods over their entire product life cycle.
- Is part of the decision-making process for developing and marketing a packaged product.
- Takes in a holistic view of the entire packaging system (primary, secondary and tertiary packaging).
- Ranges from incremental product improvements (e.g. material reduction) to process innovations (e.g. optimised goods logistics and waste recycling).
- Addresses conflicting goals at various levels:
- Between various environmental factors (e.g. using less material vs recyclability).
- Between environmental and other factors (e.g. functionality, consumer protection and costs).